Sunday, December 13, 2015

Went To Writing Center

When I went to the writing center, there has another person who is Valerie. She was improving her English there. Ms. Swift was talking about listening with her. When she saw me, she said I could read my story to them. It’s a good way to look for the mistakes in the writing. Also, that’s good for Valeriae to improve her listening. She asked Valerie to look for the mistakes when I was reading. I think this is a good way for me and Valerie because I could find which place that I should improve, and Valerie could improve her listening part for her English.
Then, I began to read my writing. Ms. Swift let me stop each sentence and let Valerie to give me some advice about my grammar. After reading one diary entry, she said my diary is a good story, but I should work more on my grammar and details. She also very surprised about Valerie because she said she just thought Valerie didn’t know anything about English. Ms. Cook told her Valerie didn’t say anything in the class so that she thought because she didn’t understand what were they talking about in the class. I knew that because when I was 8th grade. I have the same class with Valerie. At that time, she also didn’t say anything in the class that made me think she is not a Chinese. I had never heard anything even Chinese from her. I also didn’t talk in the class when I come to America at the first year. Chinese education is so different from American’s. There are 50 students in the same classroom and have the same class. We can not talk without hands up. That will make teacher crazy.
Then, when I talk about my diary about the girl is from Chinese, Ms. Swift asked us about the different from Chinese dress and American dress. She looked for some pictures for us. I know what is Chinese dress looked like at 1950s because I have two of that kind of dress in my home. However, there only a less people will wear that to America, for that is so strange in the different country. Therefore I wrote my character is glad that people looked at Sookan and not her. She didn’t want people look at her because she didn’t want people looked at her different face and different clothes.
After I visiting Ms. Swift, I know what kind of information should I add in my diary. I have to add more details for my diary and fix my grammar for my diary too. Ms. Swift said my diary is a good story, I still should take care of my grammar and details. Also, because I am the Chinese, there are some sentences is very strange for the people to read. I thanks her so much, that she gave me lots of advice about my diary. Even if that is not for the whole project, and she had no time for me to through my project, I still very Thanks her for the advice she gave me about the first three diary entries. If I have extra time, I will go to visit her again about my final draft.

No comments:

Post a Comment