Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Vocabulary

Melancholy Adj.
Sad, melancholic
I felt melancholy after reading mother’s letter.

Imposing V. -ing
let people remember him/her very clearly and easily.
He became homeless and he has lost his imposing appearance.
I knew how mother hated imposing on her children.

stroll N.
walk slowly outside.
After dinner, I took a stroll around the city, I drew in a deep breath of the deliciously fragrant air,picturing my stroll along the stream with Sarah and Jimmy.

transformed V. past
exchange their thinking with others.
They transformed their basement into a reading room.
The note said, "What a grand surprise to see our neglected greenhouse transformed into a lovely little garden."

greenhouse N.
a room like a garden, but the tempreture there is always warm.
I was in the greenhouse earlier,checking on my chrysanthemums.

neglected V. past
don't care about it for a long time
Inside, the plants seemed terribly neglected .

mixer n.
the things mixed together.
All the girls in the dorm were still fast asleep,recovering from the excitement of the mixer the night before.

invigorated V. past
refresh, have enough energy.
I was shocked to hear Mari say these things, but strangely invigorated.

oddball N.
the people looks strange
I am out of place  even in my own home. I feel like an oddball wherever i am.

pretentious Adj.
think herself is good but maybe it's not.
She had once told me she thought the dress code and the formality were ridiculously pretentious and a waste of time.

fulfilling Adj.
make people to be happy about it
She was told me that she wants me to work alongside her, and lead a worthy and fulfilling life as she does.

rambled V. past
walk to any place
 It is so pretty, ellen rambled, and I want to show you off.

frankly Adv.
Honest, say everything true
I think it is because your culture encourages people to speak openly and frankly.

horrified Adj.
afraid of it; scared about it.
I was horrified. I had never gotten a single demerit before.

demerit N.
disadvantage, fault
Anyone who violated these rules will receive the appropriate number of demerits.

humility N.
not pround and don't say anything even if it is really good.
Here, they do not place so much emphasis on patience, humility, family harmony and silence as we do in Korea.

harmony N.
peace
Here, they do not place so much emphasis on patience, humility, family harmony and silence as we do in Korea.

ambassador N.
the representative
You have become quite an excellent ambassador for your country, and have made lots of friends, i hear.

farmhouse N.
the place or farm.
The next day, ellen and I took the train t her parents’ farmhouse in New Jersey.

acres N.
the unit of a big area.
As ellen’s mother watched me survey the land, she said. we have sixteen acres here.

No comments:

Post a Comment